On 10 and 11 April 2014, the BIM project team participated in a two-day conference organised in Vienna by the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) and Switzerland, which made the fight against torture a priority of its chairmanship. The conference gathered high-level representatives and members of the anti-torture NGOs from OSCE member States. A Kyrgyz delegation, consisting of members of the Coalition against Torture and the Chairman of the Coordination Council of the Kyrgyz NPM, Mr. Ulugbek Azimov, took part in the discussions. Moreover, Mr. Azimov was a key speaker during the 3rd session of the meeting, "The role of the OSCE in assisting participating States to prevent torture: The way forward". In his speech, Mr. Azimov emphasised the importance of the Memorandum of Cooperation, signed by 14 NGOs and 3 IOs. He focused on several aspects that need to be improved while fighting torture:
• More training on human rights for law enforcement bodies
• Legal services and rehabilitation for victims of torture
• More effective cooperation between all actors involved in the fight against torture
• Harmonisation of national legislation with international norms and standards
• Better application of criminal laws, prosecution of perpetrators
Using this opportunity, the project team had a meeting with the Kyrgyz delegation and discussed current developments in the country and future cooperation in the framework of the project: "Strengthening the fight against torture and impunity in Kyrgyzstan: Prevention, Accountability, Remedy and Reparation”.