The Kyrgyz Government has placed the strengthening of the Rule of Law at the top of its political, economic and social agenda. The EU funded project “Promotion of the respect of Rule of Law in Kyrgyzstan with particular emphasis on Transparency and Accountability” will support this focus. As Austrian partner in a consortium composed of EU Member States under the lead of the German GIZ, the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Human Rights is responsible for implementing specific project activities related to Human Rights under Component 1 “Enhancing the Capacity and Effectiveness of Oversight Mechanisms”.
The overall objective of this project is to support the reform of the justice system in the Kyrgyz Republic by promoting transparency, accountability and anti-corruption measures. The project will work together with a broad range of beneficiaries such as the Ministry of Justice, the Parliamentary Committees, the Ombudsman, the Chamber of Accounts, judges, the Prosecutor’s Office, defence lawyers, civil society and the media.
• Develop law reform initiatives in relation to the institutional functioning of oversight institutions and design a law reform catalogue in the area of anti-corruption laws
• Strengthen the coordination and cooperation mechanisms among Kyrgyz key stakeholders in the field of legal / judiciary reforms and participation of civil society
• Support to the working groups drafting the new Administrative Process Law and Law on Enforcement and conduct capacity building programmes on the implementation of these revised laws to ensure successful implementation
• Improve the system of accountability of the judiciary and build public confidence in the system by an improved ethical and disciplinary framework and practice: deliver a comparative study on judicial accountability procedures in European countries and organize roundtables, conferences and study visits
• Elaborate and implement a feasibility study including recommendations regarding legislative and institutional measures necessary to shorten the duration of court proceedings and reduce backlog of cases
• Improve the institutional framework and law drafting procedures by identifying shortcomings and deficiencies and by developing modern legislative tools for key institutions involved in the law drafting process
• Assist in maintaining an up-to-date centralised database on legal information of the Kyrgyz Republic
Please find further information on the implementation of the project here:
Claudia Hüttner, email@example.com