The study, which is commissioned by Lebenshilfen Soziale Dienste, aims to get a comprehensive and deep insight into the life situation as well as support and accompaniment of elderly and old people with life-long intellectual disabilities or with high support needs. The study is intended to lay an important foundation for more opportunities for participation in society and a good quality of life, even in old age.
In order to draw a comprehensive picture of the affected group, the study addresses different levels and target groups. Thus, not only the support situation, especially at the institutional level, is to be examined, but also the subjective view of the target group itself.
The project targets primarily:
- Elderly (50+) and old people (70+) with life-long intellectual disability or high support needs in Austria.
- Self-advocates and employees from institutions
- Institutions and facilities for the care and support of people with disabilities
- Interviews with experts from the field of care, disability care, human rights control, representation network, etc.
The project uses a variety of quantitative and qualitative methods:
- Comprehensive literature research on the legal financial framework on federal and state level
- Interviews with experts in the field of care, disability care, human rights control, representative network, etc.
- Online-survey with institutions and facilities in the field of care and support for people with disabilities
- Focus group discussions with self-advocates and staff from institutions
- In-depth interviews with elderly (50+) and old people (70+) with lifelong intellectual disability or high support needs throughout Austria.
The study will be finalised at the end of August 2022.